Friday, September 26, 2008

Doris Steeves


I was born into St John’s/St Stephen’s Presbyterian (also known as the Knox) Church in St John, New Brunswick. That was my family’s church. I was also christened there, but I won’t tell you what year that was!

I started attending services at St John’s United in 1939. Even in those days, St John’s was known as being a church for all people. I think what attracted me here was the great ministers. I remember Dr. Crowdis, Reverend J.D. MacLeod and Reverend Leadbeater. During the war years you couldn’t get a seat in St John’s on a Sunday morning. The place was packed. The balcony would be absolutely filled, and that’s a big balcony! We’d come early so we knew we’d have a place to sit. There were always excellent speakers, sometimes professors from the Atlantic School of Theology, and always great music. I have so many fond memories of the music in this church. I was on the Halifax Board of Community Concerts for many years and I just love music. We’ve always had top-notch organists and soloists here; the best in the city!
Doris Steeves, c.1975

I was in church the day they burnt the mortgage and we were free of debt; what a wonderful day that was. I remember those bondsmen, in particular Mr. Arthur Cox. What great workers they were. I can remember many of the old families of St John’s: the Rockwells, the McCraes, the Coverts, Stoddarts, Bradleys, Rozees, O’Briens, Rosboroughs, Drysdales…

Our daughter Cheryl always loved to come to church. She was in the children’s choir when Ross MacLean was organist and she thought he was wonderful. At one service, she and a young fellow named Laurie Borne dressed up as a bride and groom in honor of Reverend McLeod’s wedding anniversary, which was that day. Cheryl also enjoyed Reverend Leadbeater, and felt that he had a great influence on her life. She asked him to perform her marriage ceremony, which he did.

Jenny Kerr and I taught Mission Band for a while. Nobody knows what that is anymore! Mission Band was a children’s group. We would have the kids come here after school once a month and we’d have different activities for them: crafts and things like that.

I also taught Sunday school for quite a few years. Now, today they have a Sunday school curriculum, but in those days there wasn’t any! You were totally on your own as far as what you taught them. Every Sunday morning I would have a whole class of little boys. I really loved being with them, because I had just the one daughter, so I would think “Well, this is what little boys are like!”

We were expected to teach the Catechism. The children all had their own copies of it and we’d read it aloud:

Who made you? God made you.
Who is God? God is a spirit and has not a body as we have.


And so on. Sometimes I’d read them bible stories, which they all loved.

I had so many great friends in this church. I knew Frances McLellan well; she was the first female minister at St John’s in the 1970’s, and one of the first female ministers in Canada. I had her over for dinner often. One of my best friends, Olive McLellan was treasurer of UCW for a long time. She collected money at the fundraising functions. Olive and I played bridge together; what a great bridge partner she was! Her daughter Janet McLellan Smith still goes to services here.

Doris cuts our Anniversary Cake in May 2006

The people make the church. St John’s is special, but it’s not just the building. I mean, this is a beautiful building, but it’s really the people that are wonderful.


During my years at St John’s, besides teaching Sunday school and Mission Band, I served on the UCW in the Miriam Unit and Session. I became an Elder just before Neil MacDonald left in the early 1990’s. I was on the committee to bring Arlene Riches here as Interim Minister to replace Neil. I love Arlene and I’m so glad she came here. Although I did enjoy teaching Sunday school, I must say that I love being on Session the most. As an Elder I get a chance to express my opinion on how things are done in the church. I like doing the visitations; mind, you don’t always find people at home! When I visit, I ask if they have any concerns to take to the minister. You have a big responsibility as an Elder and you must attend the meetings.

How has St John’s changed over the years? I think it has become a far more liberal church and that is a good thing. I am a person who is open to new things. What should never change is our outreach work. We do marvelous outreach in this church, and we cover all the bases!

When I think back and remember all the people who have volunteered so much of their time here, I am amazed.

No comments: